NSSF | Firearm Safety First, Last, Always
While at the shooting range or anywhere you handle a firearm, safety always comes first. There are ten commandments to firearm safety and the first four are the big ones.
- Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep firearm unloaded until ready to use it.
- Know your target and what’s beyond it.
- Use correct ammunition.
- If your firearm fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction, unload, and inspect it.
- Always wear eye and ear protection when on the range.
- With the firearm unloaded, be sure the barrel is clear of obstruction before shooting. Never look down the muzzle end of a firearm that you are shooting.
- Don’t alter or modify your firearm, and have it serviced regularly.
- Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using.
Related Videos: Ruger Fundamentals of Firearms Ownership Binge List